Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dept. of Education Responds

Much to their credit, a representative from the Department of Education called me the morning after I sent my email to Undersecretary Briggs. Jack McGrath, a 34 year civil servant in the Dept. of Education called to let me know that I was, indeed, correct in that the NCLB does include in it's law, the requirement for secondary schools to provide private information on it's students. He said he did not know why contrary information was given to me at the Collierville Town Hall Meeting.

We discussed, at some length, problems with NCLB and he was very helpful in giving me current information on what was going on with his branch, privacy issues, with NCLB. He told me he had , "some news that I think you will like", pertaining to the renewal of NCLB related to military recruiters. The bill, HR 1346, was written by Rep. Honda, of California. It requires an "opt in" by parents to allow recruiters access to their children's directory information, as opposed to the "opt out" policy that is in place now. Rep. Steve Cohen, TN is a co-signer as well as George Miller of CA, who happens to head the committe on Education and Labor relations, meaning the bill has a great chance of being approved for vote by the House.

This is one are of NCLB that needs to be, and is trying to be, fixed. Call your representatives to tell them we want HR 1346 to be approved. Talk to your kids educators, if they attend public school, and ask them how NCLB is working for them. Making a change for good in the education of children, will give them a chance at a life out of poverty and desperation. Nothing BUT good can come of that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I 'Opted out" in my childs school so that the recruiters could not bother him at school. Their solution was to send him crap at home..T-shirts ,videos ect. If I had wanted him to be harrased I would not have signed the paper. By the way he goes to school in Ky. I really think they have enough of our children as it is !